Wrong of condo management to bar returning residents from entering – Ismail Sabri

by BERNAMA / pic by TMR FILE PIX

The managements of condominiums and apartments have been told not to take the law into their own hands by denying entry to residents who had been away in their hometowns for sometime.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said such arbitrary action was not part of the standard operating procedure (SOP) issued by the government under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).

“I hope they (building management) will not act unilaterally. Every SOP or instruction must be based on what the government has issued.

“I was told that many who returned from their kampung (recently) could not enter their condominiums. They had to rent other places while waiting for clearance to return to their homes,” he told a daily news conference on the Movement Control Order (MCO) here today.

Although Ismail Sabri did not say why the building management barred the returning residents from entering, the action is believed linked to fears over the spread of COVID-19.

The government allowed hundreds of thousands of people, who had been stranded in their hometowns since the imposition of the MCO on March 18, to make interstate travel between May 7 and 10 to return to their places of residence.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said one of the main conditions for allowing building sites to resume operations is that they must have health and safety officers.

He said the government had also decided to allow renovations to be undertaken in strata and high-rise residential units during the CMCO period.

The SOP and frequently asked questions for the construction sector are available on the Works Ministry and National Security Council websites.