by BERNAMA / pic by BERNAMA
The Ministry of Health (MOH) today announced that the number of positive COVID-19 cases continued to be among the lowest recorded since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was enforced on March 18, with 37 cases reported as at noon today.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (picture) said that from the total number of new cases, four were import cases while the remaining 33 were local infections.
“Therefore, the total number of COVID-19 positive cases in Malaysia is 6,779, with 1,387 active cases.
“So far, 16 patients are still being treated in intensive care units (ICU), with four on ventilators,” he said at the daily press conference on COVID-19 here today.
According to him, 58 patients have recovered and were discharged today, taking the cumulative total of full recovery cases to 5,281 which is 77.9 per cent of the overall cases.
Dr Noor Hisham also said two fatalities were reported today, taking the death toll to 111, or 1.64 percent of the total number of positive cases.
“The 110th death, which was case 6743, was a 30-year-old Malaysian man found dead in Rompin, Pahang. Samples taken from the man during post-mortem tested positive for COVID-19 on May 12. The case is being investigated by the police and the Rompin Health Office. We have yet to determine the cause of infection.
“The 111th death, which was case 5195, was a 90-year-old Malaysian man with a history of high blood pressure and chronic respiratory disease. He was treated at Hospital Enche’ Besar Hajjah Khalsom, Johor on Apri 16 and died at 10.36 am today (May 13),” he said.
Commenting on the development of COVID-19 cases in the country, he acknowledged that while the number of cumulative cases was increasing, the rate of increase was found to be slowing down.
“The effectiveness of the government’s approach in successfully reducing COVID-19 infection in the country can be proven by studying the forecasting methods developed by the National Institute of Health, MOH, and stages one to four of the MCO,” he said.
Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham reminded the public to continue with the practice of 3W, which is wash, wear and warn, to ensure personal cleanliness in the fight to curb the spread of the virus, especially during the festive period.
“Adopt the practice of 3W, which is to regularly clean your hands with water and soap (wash); to use face masks (wear); and (warn) in terms of reminders,” he said.
He also reminded the public to adopt preventive measures, including to avoid from shaking hands or touching, to cover one’s mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, to carry out disinfection, to stay at home as well as to seek treatment if one has any symptoms.