by BERNAMA / pic by BERNAMA
A total of 135 COVID-19 patients were reported to have fully recovered and allowed to go home today.
Health Director-General Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (picture) said this was thrice the 45 new cases reported as of noon.
This brings the cumulative number of recoveries to 4,702 cases, which is 73.15 per cent of the total number of cases so far, with 1,619 active cases still being treated in isolation.
“Of the 45 new cases reported today, one was imported. This means that there were 44 cases of local transmission, of which one had been detected from clusters and localities under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO),” he said during the daily press conference on COVID-19 here today.
He added that there were 22 cases currently being treated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), of which nine required respiratory assistance, while one death was recorded yesterday afternoon, bringing the death toll to 107, or 1.66 per cent of those infected so far.
Dr Noor Hisham said the 107th death (case number 2,380 cases) was of a 51-year-old Malaysian man with a history of diabetes, hypertension and kidney disease.
He said the patient was admitted to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on April 22 and pronounced dead at 2.53 pm, May 5.
In another development, he said 217 positive cases had received treatment at the COVID-19 Low-Risk Patient Quarantine and Treatment Centre at the Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Serdang (MAEPS).
Of the total, he said 65 cases had been discharged, while 152 cases were still being treated and seven patients were referred back to the hospital.
With the quarantine centre in operation, Dr Noor Hisham said the Kuala Lumpur Hospital had also begun resuming most of its services, including elective surgeries.
He said that with the aggressive measures and targeted approach taken by the government, the number of cases had reduced, however, it was too early to declare the situation as being safe, and the public should continue cooperating with the authorities to contain the pandemic.