State govts can adjust SOP on CMCO

Some states have decided to postpone the CMCO or considered putting in tighter conditions

by AFIQ AZIZ/ pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

STATE governments are allowed to fine-tune the rules set under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) that begins today, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

Ismail Sabri said the adjustments, however, must be confined within the CMCO scope such as time restriction.

He said this in response to decisions made by several states such as Selangor, Sarawak, Pahang and Kedah to remain the shutdowns of some of their economic and social activities.

“We have prepared the general guideline with standard operating procedure (SOP) for all to follow during the CMCO.

“During the National Security Council’s meeting last week between the prime minister (PM) and all mentri besar and chief ministers, we have agreed that states can alter the SOP according to their own conditions within the scope given,” Ismail Sabri told the press in his daily briefing in Putrajaya yesterday.

The MCO, which was enforced since March 18, managed to bring down the number of Covid-19 daily cases from three digit to double digit in the last two weeks.

PM Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin last Friday announced that the government decided to relax the MCO and allow most sectors that do not involve mass gathering to be operational again under some conditions.

Under the CMCO, any spike in Covid-19 cases at a particular area will result to the area being put under Enhanced MCO, where the whole zone will be closed down entirely for contact tracing and sanitisation processes.

Nevertheless, some states have responded either to postpone the CMCO or considered putting in tighter conditions compared to what have been proposed by the federal government.

Ismail Sabri also announced that the government now allows up to four people in a household to travel in an individual car compared to just two previously.

He also said more enforcers will be placed to ensure social distancing in public transport, which is only allowed to operate with half passengers’ capacity.

For shops that are expected to attract high footfalls due to the incoming Hari Raya Aidilfitri festive, Ismail Sabri said all outlets are obliged to ensure the compliance of all health guideline.

“We also encourage people to inform the authority should they come across any non-compliance so we can take action, including ordering the particular business to cease its operation,” he added.

On the same development, Ismail Sabri said the police will provide SOP for those who are stranded at their hometown to return to their respective homes soon.

The movement is expected to take off gradually beginning May 7. He said if the public could not access the Gerak Malaysia app, which has received over half million downloads and applications, they can still make appointment at the nearest police station to submit their request.

The minister also urged smartphone users to download the MyTrace app to help the Health Ministry carry out contact tracing after any new Covid-19 case is reported.

The app, developed by the Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry, is able to do contact tracing after a confirmed case has been reported in any particular area.

He said MyTrace will complement the MySejahtera app launched earlier and it uses Bluetooth to conduct the contact tracing.

“To ensure its success, we are aiming around 60% usage from smartphone owners,” Ismail Sabri said.

As of Saturday, the police and armed forces conducted 823 roadblocks and checked 552, 999 vehicles.

Of the 414 individuals arrested for breaching the MCO, 407 were placed under remand and seven were released on bail.

“In total, 255 investigating papers on sharing and reporting fake news have been opened, with 175 people still under probe, 26 are being charged in court and 11 have been given warnings,” the minister said.

“Currently, some 18,616 individuals are undergoing mandatory isolation after returning from overseas at 241 centres,” he added. On Saturday, another 720 individuals have returned to Malaysia.