MITI has given the green light for MRT2 and LRT3 construction projects to continue
by SHAZNI ONG/ pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
THE Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) has given the nod for developers involved in public mega projects to resume construction works in Mass Rapid Transit Line 2 (MRT2) and Light Rail Transit 3 (LRT3).
IJM Corp Bhd, HSS Engineers Bhd and Sunway Construction Group Bhd (SunCon) are among the several major construction players that received approval letters to proceed with the projects.
IJM CEO and MD Liew Hau Seng said MITI has given the green light for the company’s construction division project sites and industry division plant/factories over the past week.
“We filed applications to MITI and have since received approvals for our construction division’s project sites in the city centre, The Tun Razak Exchange and MRT2 work packages, as well as our factories/ plants for our industry division.
“Protocols have been put in place across our sites in accordance with MITI health and safety requirements,” he told The Malaysian Reserve (TMR) in an email reply yesterday.
HSS Engineers ED/group CEO Datuk Ir Nitchiananthan Balasubramaniam confirmed that its associate companies, HSS Integrated Sdn Bhd, and SMHB Sdn Bhd, had on April 24 and April 18 obtained approvals from MITI to operate during the Movement Control Order (MCO).
“Most of our clients’ construction projects have received approval. It is just a matter of mobilisation, getting the standard operating procedures (SOPs) sorted out — from clients, contractors and consultants to review the SOPs.
“Also, the SOPs for sites are more complicated compared to offices because at sites they have foreign workers and it is not a fully controlled environment. Nonetheless, we are very happy to receive the approvals from MITI,” he told TMR on Monday.
HSS Engineers in a Bursa filing on Monday added that operations at HSSI’s head office commenced on Monday and at SMHB’s head office on April 20 at 50% of the workforce level in accordance with MITI’s SOP and the remaining employees will continue to work from home.
SunCon said it received individual approval letters from MITI from April 22 onwards.
“SunCon received the approvals from MITI to resume work for 10 of our existing projects. The projects include MRT2 and LRT3 subcontract packages, Tenaga Nasional Bhd headquarters and four building projects for Sunway, which include two hospital projects.
“This is good news for us, as being able to resume work will enable us to work towards delivering our projects on time. However, we believe it is even more important now than ever to put the safety of our people as priority.
“Before we begin our operations, we will adhere to all the health and safety guidelines stipulated by MITI, Ministry of Works and the Construction Industry Development Board,” the company told TMR in an email reply on Monday.
SunCon added that part of the guidelines also include a requirement for all site personnel and workers to undergo Covid-19 screening.
“Only those tested negative can be allowed on site. We will also continue to practise and take precautionary measures on site for the safety of our workers.
“Not only that, our consultants, suppliers and subcontractors are also required to obtain individual approvals from MITI and adhere to the same stringent safety and health guidelines before they begin operations.
“We will ensure all guidelines are adhered to before we resume our operations on site,” the company said.
It was reported earlier that several construction companies have been allowed to resume their works and projects, but with some restrictions from the government following the extension of the MCO to May 12.
Affin Hwang Investment Bank Bhd analyst Loong Chee Wei said most listed contractors have applied to resume work on their projects last week, and that some contractors have received approvals by MITI to resume works on certain projects.
“Major projects allowed to resume works next week include the MRT2 above groundworks and LRT3 works. Some building works are also allowed to resume,” he said in a sector report on Monday.
The government had recently agreed to allow additional sectors to operate in phases such as construction projects and services related to construction work among others, apart from the existing essential services.
MITI Senior Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali said the decision to allow more businesses to gradually resume their operations during MCO would increase the economy’s operating capacity.