The statistics show 85 new cases, 169 recoveries and 1 death yesterday
by S BIRRUNTHA/ pic by BERNAMA
MALAYSIA records the lowest new Covid-19 cases since March 14, with just 85 cases reported yesterday (at press time), bringing the total cases to 5,072.
Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah attributed the dip in new cases to the enforcement of Phases 1 and 2 of the Movement Control Order (MCO) which kept Covid-19 new cases under control without a drastic spike.
“MCO Phase 3 is for a targeted approach and adhering to the MCO at this phase is very crucial. Unfortunately, from the authorities’ observation and traffic situation past few weeks, it is understood that some quarters are not complying.
“So, we (the Health Ministry) are with the Home Ministry on imposing stricter action on these offenders and we hope with these stricter rules in place, it will give a positive impact to flatten the curve,” he said in a press briefing yesterday.
Dr Noor Hisham also said one more Covid-19-related death was reported, bringing the death tally to 83.
“The latest death was a 69-year-old man with a history of diabetes and high blood pressure.
“He was treated at the University of Malaya Medical Centre on March 21 and was confirmed dead yesterday at 6.41am,” he added.
Dr Noor Hisham said currently a total of 56 Covid-19 positive cases are still being treated in the intensive care unit. Of these, 32 were cases that needed help with breathing.
He added that 169 patients have completely recovered yesterday, bringing the total recoveries to 2,647 people.
He highlighted that this shows a recovery rate of 52.2%, the first time more than half of the infected people have recovered.
Additionally, Dr Noor Hisham also noted that a total of 8,616 tahfiz students are to undergo the Covid-19 screening.
He said the ministry was focusing on the group after the index case involving the Sri Petaling tabligh event in Kuala Lumpur.
“We have 28 small clusters and will focus on them,” he said.
The Health Ministry said it would not recommend the use of “disinfection boxes” to contain the spread of Covid-19 as done in other countries, as there is no proof that this method is effective.
Dr Noor Hisham said there is no evidence that such equipment will work as claimed and the chemicals used are more likely to cause harm to users.
“The process of disinfecting using the boxes involves a person entering and being sprayed with chemicals for up to 20 to 30 seconds.
“The process does not get rid of the virus within the human body. Moreover, the chemicals might bring harm to our membrane mucosa like in the eyes or mouth,” he said in his daily Covid-19 press briefing.
He also added that all the models, which were reviewed by the ministry, had different types of chemical substances.
“Based on the evaluation conducted so far, we find out that there is no proof to show that the models, including devices such as sanitising tunnels or chambers, are effective in reducing the infection of Covid-19,” he said.