by BERNAMA / pic by BLOOMBERG
SINGAPORE – Singapore’s Ministry of Health (MOH) has verified 142 new cases of COVID-19 infection, bringing the tally for the republic to 1,623 cases.
Of the new cases, 40 cases were linked to clusters at foreign worker dormitories, 28 were linked to non-dormitory clusters or other cases and 72 were so far not linked while two imported cases were also reported, said MOH in a statement here.
As of yesterday, the three clusters which were gazetted as isolation areas were S11 Dormitory @ Punggol, Westlite Toh Guan Dormitory and Toh Guan Dormitory, which have a combined 179 positive cases.
Meanwhile, two Malaysian men, aged 30 and 40, who are part of 72 local unlinked cases, are currently warded at Singapore General Hospital and the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), respectively.
As for cases from public healthcare sector, MOH said there was one reported involving a 31-year-old technician at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.
Updating on the condition of confirmed cases, the ministry said 29 patients of COVID-19 infection have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities, bringing the total of fully recovered to 406.
Of the 669 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving while 29 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
To date, the republic has recorded six deaths from complications due to COVID-19 infection.
According to MOH, a 32-year-old Indian national who was labelled as Case 1,604, has passed away at his residence on April 8.
Earlier, MOH said the long-term pass holder had been swabbed at NCID for COVID-19 on April 7 and was advised to stay at home, pending the test result.
His chest X-ray indicated he did not have pneumonia and was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection after his demise.
“Investigations are ongoing to establish the cause of death,” said MOH.