The task force will be working with SSCC to track the virus using geographic information systems
by AFIQ AZIZ/ pic by RAZAK GHAZALI
FORMER Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad (picture) has been appointed to chair the Selangor task force to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the state.
In a statement yesterday, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said the appointment was made in the wake of increasing Covid-19 cases reported in Selangor where 60% of the cases involved its residents.
Amirudin said the state health department has briefed members of Selangor Special Action Council on the Covid-19 situation after their first meeting yesterday.
“It has been unanimously decided in the meeting to form a task force to monitor and control the virus outbreak and Dr Dzulkefly has agreed to lead this,” he said after chairing the council meeting.
He also assured the people that the situation in the state is under control.
On Monday, Covid-19 cases in Malaysia rose to 117, of which 24 have since recovered. Of the 117 cases, 95, all involving Malaysians, are part of a second wave of infection that struck less than a month.
Amirudin said the task force will be working with the Smart Selangor Command Centre (SSCC) to track the virus using geographic information systems.
“The information will be shared with the relevant parties for the next steps,” he added.
Last week, Health, Welfare, Women Empowerment and Family executive councillor Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud reportedly said the Selangor taskforce will be aimed at educating and promoting Covid-19 preventive measures via various channels including social media.
“Prior to this, we only had cases that were brought from outside, but since Case 26, the internal transmission has multiplied,” Dr Siti Mariah was quoted as saying.
It was also reported that corporate buildings and private hospitals in the Klang Valley and government offices, including in Putrajaya, have been disinfected following the Case 26 cluster outbreak earlier this week.
Major events scheduled in the state have also been cancelled as the Health Ministry announced that there were two critical cases on Monday. Bernama reported that the Seremban City Carnival 2020 in conjunction with the declaration of Seremban as a city scheduled for the weekend has been postponed to a date yet to be fixed.
Seremban City Council secretary Mas Midyawan Yahya told the media yesterday the postponement was due to Covid-19 fears.
In Sabah, the state government has extended its travel restrictions to those arriving from Iran and Italy with immediate effect due to the outbreak.
Bernama reported Sabah state secretary Datuk Safar Untong as saying that foreign nationals from Iran and Italy would not be allowed to enter Sabah at all points of entry by air, sea or land.
The additional temporary prohibition order to enter Sabah applies to all foreigners, regardless of nationalities, and Malaysians who are non-residents of Sabah with recent travel history to the two countries within the last 14 days, he said.