First online bail solution shortens process

eJamin allows bailors to make payments within 30 minutes without the hassle of travelling between the court and bank

By ASILA JALIL / Pic By ARIF KARTONO

BANK Islam Malaysia Bhd and Bank Muamalat Malaysia Bhd have collaborated with Dapat Vista Sdn Bhd to launch eJamin, Malaysia’s pioneer digital bail payment solution.

eJamin is the first bail payment solution in Malaysia and South- East Asia that allows bailors to make payments within 30 minutes, ensuring a quick release of those in remand.

Since its soft launch on Jan 13, a total of RM1.2 million bail payments have been made across eight courts that have eJamin.

Dapat Vista ED Sabri Rahman said the total payment made represents 30% of the bails posted at the courts.

“30% of the payment went through our system, while the other 70% was done through the normal system because this product is new and not many people are familiar with it,” he said in a press conference after the signing ceremony in Kuala Lumpur (KL) yesterday.

eJamin is currently available at the Petaling Jaya Court Complex, KL Court Complex, Shah Alam Court Complex, Klang Court Complex, Ampang Court Complex, Selayang Court Complex, Kajang Court Complex and Seremban Court Complex.

Sabri said there are plans for eJamin to be fully deployed at 148 bailable courts throughout the country and to reach 70% users by the end of this year.

“The courts have already mentioned that the digital trait of this process is one factor that is going to be key going forward,” he added.

eJamin allows bailors to post bail through mobile devices and laptops without having the need to go through a time-consuming process of travelling between the court and the bank to open a surety account.

It allows bail payment to be made via FPX online banking. Bailors are required to complete an online form on eJamin which will need the bailor’s personal details and that of the accused.

The bail money will then be automatically directed to the designated Bank Islam or Bank Muamalat accounts once payment is made through the FPX online interchange.

At the close of the case, the bail money will then be refunded to bailor’s bank account via eJamin within a short time.

Bank Islam CEO Mohd Muazzam Mohamed said the collaboration is a key enabler in expanding the bank’s service to a wider network.

“We believe that this initiative will not only benefit users and stakeholders but ultimately continue in achieving Malaysia’s aspirations to be a cashless society.

“This initiative is also part of Bank Islam’s digital journey in providing our customers the efficiency of cashless transaction that is seamless, quick and safe,” he said.

Additionally, Bank Muamalat CEO Khairul Kamarudin said the feature also reduces the risk that follows when an individual carries too much cash in hand for bail purposes.

“The issue of money laundering also crops up. If the bail is RM100,000, there is a risk of that fund coming from unlawful activities if the process is not done online.

“Instead of just providing convenience, this also cements the nation’s fight against proceeds from unlawful activities,” said Khairul.