The evacuees, who returned to Malaysia on Feb 4, 2020, were released from AKEPT at noon yesterday
By DASHVEENJIT KAUR / Pic By RAZAK GHAZALI
THE 105 people comprising Malaysians and non-Malaysian spouses and children, who had been airlifted out of the coronavirus-hit city of Wuhan, have been released from a 14-day quarantine.
The evacuees, who returned to Malaysia on Feb 4, 2020, were released from the Higher Education Leadership Academy (AKEPT) in Bandar Enstek, Negri Sembilan, at noon yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said.
“All 105 people at AKEPT ended the 14-day quarantine period. The discharge process began at 2pm yesterday,” she told reporters after witnessing the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the national Welfare Foundation (YKN) and the Sunway Bhd group in Putrajaya yesterday.
Malaysia had airlifted 107 individuals from Wuhan on Feb 4, after being locked down abroad since Jan 28, 2020.
The 107 evacuees were then ferried by bus to the Air Disaster Unit at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport for a health screening, which two Malaysians failed.
The two were subsequently sent to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital, while the remaining 105 people were ferried by buses to AKEPT, a monitoring centre in Nilai, Negri Sembilan.
More than 73,000 people were infected worldwide with Covid-19 virus, while the official death toll nears 1,900. Malaysia has recorded 22 coronavirus cases thus far, with nine already discharged from hospital.
Meanwhile, two Malaysians on board the Diamond Princess cruise liner currently quarantined in Japan, have tested positive for the virus. “They will be receiving treatments in Japan itself,” Dr Wan Azizah said.
Separately, Sunway Group has donated RM1 million to set up a temporary accommodation facility, or Anjung Kasih, in Seberang Jaya Hospital, Penang.
The facility, for underprivileged out-of-towners, forms part of the four new Anjung Kasih by YKN across Malaysia that will be completed this year, bringing the total number nationwide to 16.
The four new facilities, located in Hospital of Malacca; Duchess of Kent, Sandakan, Sultanah Aminah, Johor Baru; and Seberang Jaya are in the middle of construction and are expected to be completed by this year.
“Additionally, construction on two new Anjung Kasih in Putrajaya and Kota Kinabalu will begin this year and is expected to end by 2021,” YKN CEO Datin Paduka Che Asmah Ibrahim said.
Anjung Kasih — an initiative by YKN — offers rooms and washrooms free of charge for underpri- vileged out-of-towners who have to accompany family members admitted to the hospital.
Family members only need to apply with the hospital’s nursing station, while the application process takes two to three days.
The project, which started in 2006 for families of patients undergoing treatment at government hospitals, has benefitted 76,280 people.
According to Che Asmah, the government had allocated RM5 million for the initiative and had received monetary support through corporate social responsibility programmes by government-linked companies, corporate companies and other caring contributors.