Investigation is being carried out under the CIDB Board Act 520 on Certificate of Standard Compliance, worker’s registration and contractor registration
By AFIQ AZIZ / Pic By BERNAMA
CONSTRUCTION Industry Development Board (CIDB) has launched the investigation over the half-collapsed condominium project in Taman Desa last week.
Works Minister Baru Bian said the investigation is being carried out under the CIDB Board Act 520 on Certificate of Standard Compliance, worker’s registration and contractor registration.
He added that CIDB issued a stop-work order for construction works on Feb 15 to facilitate the investigations, including sample collection of construction materials for standard compliance tests.
“This is a strong reminder to construction industry players to abide by the rules,” he told reporters after launching the One-Stop Construction Information Portal in Kuala Lumpur (KL) yesterday.
Baru also told construction companies to register all of its workers with CIDB and ensure that construction materials and products used are in accordance with the standard compliance certificate issued by the board.
The 37-storey condominium project in Taman Desa, KL, partially collapsed last Friday, leaving two Bangladeshi workers trapped on the first floor.
The building’s sixth-floor car park flooring reportedly gave way during heavy rain at 3.30pm.
The two victims were rescued at 5.15pm and 9.40pm respectively, before being taken to the KL Hospital.
Baru said he has not received any preliminary report findings at the moment as the investigation is still in early stages.
In another related development, CIDB CEO Datuk Ir Ahmad ‘Asri Abdul Hamid said the rate of fatal work injury rate went up from 10.94 to 13.44 deaths in 100,000 full time workers from 2015 to 2018.
This, he said, is the reason why the government has embarked in piloting projects under the Occupational Safety and Health in Construction Industry Management (OSHCHIM) guideline issued in 2017.
“However, we cannot expect this to work within a short period of time.
“In UK, they took 23 years to achieve the fatality rate after implementing this guideline,” he said.
OSHCHIM is part of the Construction Industry Transformation Programme (CITP) 2016-2020 — aimed to uplift the quality of construction industry, including safety and professionalism, environmental sustainability, productivity and internationalisation.
Baru said so far, all of the guidelines have already been put in place and for 2020, the ministry only aims to work on the procedure’s implementation.
“We have got the ecosystem and regulation in place. Overall, we can say that the CITP has achieved about 70% of the total agenda,” he said.
Earlier, Baru said the Convince portal, which is also part of CITP programme, will provide the latest information and updates in the form of interactive construction statistics, data request services, digital publications and searchable directories.
“This will enable industry players and stakeholders to make information-based decision and reduced business risks,” he said.
The ministry forecasts to register more than 3,000 users by end of 2021.