The 1st 4 are Chinese nationals, comprising 2 women aged 66 and 36, and 2 boys aged 11 and 2 respectively
by DASHVEENJIT KAUR/ pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
FOUR more Chinese nationals who had been infected with Covid-19 in Malaysia have fully recovered from the disease and were discharged from hospitals last Friday.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail (picture) said the total number of Covid-19 patients having been successfully treated in the country now stands at seven (at press time).
The four patients were the first, second, third and fifth cases among the 22 who were tested positive since the infections were first reported on Jan 25.
“All four of them have fully cured and were allowed to return after the Covid-19 repeated measures test conducted showed two consecutive negative test results,” she told reporters after chairing a special National Disaster Management Committee meeting on the Covid-19 last Friday.
All four were Chinese nationals, comprising two women aged 66 and 36, as well as two boys aged 11 and two respectively.
“These four individuals were close contacts of the first reported case in Singapore and had been informed through the International Health Regulation (IHR) Focal Point Malaysia.
“They were detected and placed in the Sungai Buloh Hospital isolation ward on Jan 24 and had later been declared positive of the disease,” she said.
The total number of Covid-19 cases as of press time stood at 22, with three new cases involving Chinese nationals — a 27-year-old businessman, a 32-year-old woman who is married to a Malaysian, and an 83-year-old American female.
From the total confirmed cases, 15 are Chinese nationals, one American and six are Malaysians.
As for the government’s ongoing close contact tracking activity, Dr Wan Azizah said 239 individuals were identified as of last Friday and placed under quarantine.
She said the number would continue to increase until tracking of all close contact is completed.
“From a total of 239 close contacts, 181 are Malaysian citizens, 46 Chinese citizens and 12 are people of other nationalities.
“All of these closely monitored contacts have been sampled and placed under the supervision and observation orders,” she added.
She also noted that should the close contacts be tested negative in the final screening for Covid-19, they too will be allowed to go home after the 14-day quarantine period on Feb 18.
“We urge those who had been in close contact (with patients) to come forward for checks,” Dr Wan Azizah said.
She also reiterated that the government has decided not to allow any foreign vessels to dock in any Malaysian waters if it refuses to share the essential information required by the authorities.
“The Immigration Department reported that there have been attempts by two cruise ships from Hong Kong (Westerdam and Sapphire Princess).
“The Westerdam ship with about 1,000 passengers arriving in Hong Kong before Taiwan on Feb 1 initially intended to anchor in Malaysia, had permission to dock in Vietnam last Thursday, while Sapphire Princess safely docked in Singapore,” she added.
According to the Corona Tracker, there were 69,256 confirmed cases as of 1pm last Friday, out of which 9,625 had recovered.
Death toll from the epidemic had reached 1,669 (at press time).