Dr M says Trump’s ‘deal of the century’ is unacceptable

by BLOOMBERG/ pic by BLOOMBERG

PRIME Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the proposed Israel-Palestine peace deal that was announced by US President Donald Trump (picture) is “utterly unacceptable” and “grossly unjust”.

The plan, dubbed the “Deal of the Century” by Trump, hands the holy city of Jerusalem on a silver platter to Israel in absolute disregard for the feelings of millions of Muslims and Christians worldwide, Dr Mahathir said in a speech in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

“This deal will only bring more conflict to the region, and will antagonise billions of people around the world,” Mahathir said at the third conference of The League of Parliamentarians for Al-Quds.

Trump unveiled his proposal at a White House event last month alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Palestinian officials weren’t consulted on the proposal. The White House approach leading to the plan has long been criticised internationally for providing Israel with quick wins, while making concessions to the Palestinians contingent on a list of milestones.

Trump’s actions since taking office — including moving the US embassy to Jerusalem and recognising Israeli sovereignty of the Golan Heights — has largely benefitted Israel, while giving little to the Palestinians, who said the US had given up its decades-long role as a credible mediator in the peace process.

Dr Mahathir, the world’s oldest government head at 94 years old, has for decades been accused of anti-semitism for his criticism and attacks on Jews, whom he has accused of perpetrating a humanitarian crisis in the Palestinian territories and creating conflict in the Middle East.

In 2003, Dr Mahathir provoked international outrage when he said Jews “rule the world by proxy” and “they get others to fight and die for them”.

He later said his words were distorted by the media.