by BERNAMA/ pic by TMR FILE
KUALA LUMPUR – A 41-year-old man is the first Malaysian who has tested positive for the novel coronavirus 2019 (2019-nCoV).
He is one of two new positive cases, bringing to 10 the number of coronavirus cases in Malaysia so far.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad (picture) said the other case involved a 63-year-old man from China who arrived at the KL International Airport on Jan 18.
“As for the Malaysian, he was in Singapore from Jan 16 to 23 to attend a conference which was also attended by several international delegations including from China.
“He returned to Malaysia on Jan 23 and, on Jan 29, sought treatment at a private health facility in Selangor for fever and cough. Thereafter, he was referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Feb 2, and was admitted to an isolation ward. He was confirmed positive for 2019-nCoV yesterday,” he told the daily press conference to update on the coronavirus situation in Malaysia, here today.
He said the Malaysian was in stable condition and that the Health Ministry was working closely with the Singaporean authorities on contact tracing.