MCMC receives 21,296 complaints on WhatsApp

By ALIFAH ZAINUDDIN

THE Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has received over 20,000 complaints on its WhatsApp hotline within the first six weeks since its launch on Aug 17.

Of the overall figure, 19,968 reports are still in the process of being verified while action has been taken on 259 reports, Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo (picture) said.

Actions that have been taken include investigations on the person linked to the dissemination of content that offends any race, religion or royalty (3R) on social media; a report on the misuse and the downloading of content with assistance from social media platform providers; and reference to other enforcement authorities for further action.

“MCMC found that 80% of the information received had racist content, while the other 20% were focused on issues relating to religion,” Gobind said in a recent parliamentary written reply.

He said this in response to Wong Shu Qi (Pakatan Harapan-Kluang), who asked about the number of complaints received by the MCMC since the launch of the WhatsApp hotline, the type of cases reported and the number of cases that the authorities had taken action on.

“The government would like to remind all Malaysians to act maturely without uploading any messages with 3R elements that can affect public order and peace,” Gobind said.

MCMC chairman Al-Ishsal Ishak had previously justified the need for the complaints channel, as it would accelerate enforcement action against those who post sensitive 3R content on social media platforms.

Any review, comments and dissemination comprising negative remarks which could spark disharmony and threaten the unity of Malaysia’s multiracial make-up on social media and other online platforms must cease immediately, Al-Ishsal stressed.

Complaints can be directly submitted to the commission through the WhatsApp number 016 220 6262. Alternatively, it can also be sent via email to [email protected] with the screenshot attached and URL link of the offensive posts.