The commission’s approach is to give priority to higher sums and not other matters, says MACC chief commissioner
By BERNAMA / Pic By BERNAMA
THE list involving 80 individuals and entities served compound notices related to 1Malaysia Development Bhd’s (1MDB) funds by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on Monday is for those believed to have received RM500,000 and more from the scandal-plagued sovereign wealth fund.
MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya (picture) said the list is not exhaustive.
“The MACC’s approach is to give priority to higher sums. The criterion is the sum and not other matters,” she said in a statement yesterday in response to claims that the MACC had dropped Masjid Tanah MP Datuk Wira Mas Ermieyati Samsudin from the list issued on Monday.
“This commission will take action in an orderly and structured manner to get back 1MDB money, which belongs to the people, in stages without favouring anyone,” she said.
The compound notices were issued under Section 92(1) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.
Those on the list, which included component parties of the Barisan Nasional (BN), have been given two weeks to return the money they received.
BN was defeated by the Pakatan Harapan coalition in the 14th General Election (GE14) in May last year.
The entity that received the highest amount, RM134 million, was Solar Shine Sdn Bhd, while for individuals, it was former CIMB Group Holdings Bhd chairman Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazir Razak, who received RM25.7 million.
Nazir, is also the brother of former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Razak and BN chairman before the ruling coalition lost the GE14. Najib was also the finance minister then.
Najib is facing a slew of corruption and money-laundering charges related to 1MDB. — Bernama