PM denies contradictory response on sex video

Dr Mahathir says there is no contradiction in his response as the action he had taken back in 1998 was not based on a video clip

By AZREEN HANI / Pic By MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

PRIME Minister (PM) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has rubbished claims that he has a contradicting stand on sex video scandal involving Cabinet members in the past and current administration.

Former PM Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Razak, hence, alluded different treatment on the sex video scandals in 1998 to 2019.

“Year 1998, this is a moral issue, not political. Year 2019, this is a political issue, not moral,” Najib wrote on his Twitter on July 25.

However, in a blog post titled “Contradiction” yesterday, Dr Mahathir said there is no contradiction in his response as the action he had taken back in 1998 was not based on the video clip, and it (the video) did not influence his decision.

“The action taken in 1998 was not based on the video clip. That came later. The court had already made its decision. The subsequent videos did not influence the court or anyone else. It did not influence me,” Dr Mahathir wrote.

Although the PM did not name anyone in the post, the 1998 incident could be referred to the sacking of then Deputy PM Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim due to corruption and sodomy allegations.

The sacking led to the Reformasi movement nationwide, which was headed by Anwar himself.

A year later, the court found Anwar guilty on both allegations where he was sentenced to six years for corruption and another nine years for sodomy.

In the recent sex video case, Dr Mahathir said it was the video that was made available to the public first, unlike in the past.

“Obviously, it is an attempt to blacken the name of the particular person in order to blight his future,” he said, without naming anyone in particular.

Dr Mahathir reiterated his position to not be a part of political plots or dirty politics against anyone.

“If I were to take the action, as expected of me, I would become an accessory to the plot. I have no intention to become the instrument of the plotters. I will not be a part of such dirty politics,” he said.

Dr Mahathir had said he will not be a party to the malicious political scheme aimed to depose a federal minister.

“Obviously, somebody is trying to make use of me to achieve their purpose. This is not the usual video you’ve seen before. This was purposely created in order to achieve certain nasty objectives to prevent somebody from making progress in politics,” The Malaysian Reserve reported him as saying after the launch of Bank Negara Malaysia’s National Strategy for Financial Literacy 2019-2023 in Kuala Lumpur recentry.

The latest sex video was leaked on social media last month, implicating a Cabinet minister with another man in a compromising situation.

Former PKR youth leader for Santubong Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz confessed to being one of the men in the video and accused Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali as the other.

The police have taken Azmin’s statement and detained several men, including Haziq Abdullah as well as Anwar’s political secretary, Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak before they were released last week.