The PM says someone is trying to use him to end Azmin’s political career
by NG MIN SHEN & ALIFAH ZAINUDDIN / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
PRIME Minister (PM) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he will not be a party to the malicious political scheme aimed to depose a federal minister.
Dr Mahathir said there were efforts to use him to end Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali’s political career with the distribution of a sex tape, purportedly to portray the latter as immoral.
“Obviously, somebody is trying to make use of me to achieve their purpose. This is not the usual video you’ve seen before. This was purposely created in order to achieve certain nasty objectives to prevent somebody from making progress in politics.
“This was planned and I’m not going to be an agent for making the plan a success,” he said after the launch of Bank Negara Malaysia’s National Strategy for Financial Literacy 2019-2023 in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.
Dr Mahathir also said he was not defending Azmin but was only stressing that dirty politics “will not trap me” to achieve the objective.
On his blog chedet.cc, the PM said the issue was political and not a plight of morality.
“As such, it will be handled as a political issue.
“The perpetrator had hoped that the leak would result in action being taken against the targeted individual. I can take that action as I am in charge. However, if I had opted to act according to the plan, the person responsible for this evil act would succeed.
“My religion forbids spying and searching for people’s flaws. What was done is even worse than spying. I will not be used as an agent for this spiteful act,” Dr Mahathir said in his posting.
Azmin had continuously denied the allegations, branding the move as gutter politics to destroy his political career.
The circulation of the video came when there were signs of cracks in PKR’s leadership, with worries that Azmin could be a possible candidate for the country’s PM post. The Pakatan Harapan government had agreed that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will be given the post when Dr Mahathir steps down.
So far, police had detained 11 people to assist in the investigation. Five of them had been released after their remand order expired last Thursday.
Among those detained was former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz, who had admitted he was the person in the sex video. He had also implicated Azmin as the other person in the video, which had garnered international interest.
Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador said last Thursday that based on CyberSecurity Malaysia’s analysis, there is a high probability that the video is authentic, but the facial recognition analysis failed to identify the individuals in the video.