PKR retreat ends with ceasefire

by ALIFAH ZAINUDDIN / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

THE public feud between PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his deputy Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali (picture) — who is also economic affairs minister — over the past week appeared to have subsided yesterday at the end of the party’s three-day retreat.

Anwar, who had earlier called for Azmin’s resignation from his federal post amid allegations that he was involved in a sex video, said he is prepared to work together with Azmin as the two are in the same team.

“Azmin is the deputy president. We need to work as a team and hold regular meetings and discussions. There is no problem. We are still a team,” he told a press conference after the party’s retreat in Port Dickson, Negri Sembilan.

Anwar had previously said the party accepted the statement by InspectorGeneral of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador that Azmin is not involved in the sex video scandal.

“While accepting that the police investigation is ongoing and the statement by the IGP on July 19, PKR accepts that the party’s deputy president is not involved in the sex video distributed recently.

“On allegations that there are members and party leaders involved in the distribution of the said video, PKR will not hesitate to take action according to the party constitution if any members are involved and convicted by law.

“I would like to reiterate that PKR strictly rejects gutter politics,” he said.

Anwar also said the police should be allowed to complete their probe.

In response, Azmin — via his Twitter account on Saturday — said he acknowledges that Anwar has accepted the findings of the investigation as announced by the IGP, who cleared him of any involvement in the video.

Azmin, who has been notably absent from the retreat, said he also recognised the party’s decision to take stern action against leaders and party members involved in the distribution of the video.

“This is in line with my firm assertion that the party’s internal gutter politics must be fought,” he tweeted.

Last Thursday, Abdul Hamid said CyberSecurity Malaysia, which has been tasked with forensic analysis of the video, could not identify the people in the video through facial recognition and that there is a high probability the video is authentic.

He added that police investigations are still ongoing.

Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who attended the retreat last Friday despite being from a different political party, had urged the party’s leaders to set aside their differences and focus on fulfilling their pledges as expectations are high.

“The power entrusted to us by the people is to repair the damage and rectify what has been wronged. We will lose power if we continue this way (fight over power).

“To all Pakatan Harapan leaders — be they from PKR, Bersatu, Amanah or DAP — we cannot let this happen,” he said.

PKR is the largest party in the Pakatan Harapan coalition, holding 50 of the bloc’s 129 seats.