Govt expands BSH beneficiaries

By SHAHEERA AZNAM SHAH / Pic By MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

THE government is expanding the number of beneficiaries for the Bantuan Sara Hidup (BSH) programme as disqualified applicants could begin to submit an appeal for the financial aid.

Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng (picture) said applicants have until Aug 15 to submit their appeals, with supportive documents from the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).

“With this process, those who were unqualified before will still have the chance to present their appeal, along with IRB’s documents.

“The government will continue to make proactive measures in solving the issues arising during the distribution of BSH and make sure that the programme achieves its main objective of alleviating the living cost of the bottom 40% income group (B40),” he said in a statement yesterday.

Lim said the appeal can be made online through BSH’s official website, via IRB’s branches of Pusat Khidmat Hasil and at the Urban Transformation Centres.

He added that the second phase of the financial aid had been distributed starting May 28, which included 3.6 million beneficiaries amounting to RM1.42 billion.

“The distribution was made after the government conducted the verification processes on 3.6 million of the approved beneficiaries.

“The second phase involved payments of RM1.42 billion, including payments to 3.2 million children of beneficiaries aged 18 and below, while children with disabilities are exempted from age restriction,” he said.

Presently, the government has paid out RM2.62 billion under the BSH programme for 2019 for both phases.