M’sia mourns the death of Muhammad Haziq

By NUR HAZIQAH A MALEK / Pic by AFP

Malaysians from all walks of life mourn the death of teenager Muhammad Haziq Mohd Tarmizi, who was one of the victims of the deadly attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, last week.

Muhammad Haziq was one of the 50 killed in the racially motivated mass shooting at Linwood Mosque and Al Noor Mosque. The death of the 17-year-old student of Burnside High School was confirmed on Wednesday.

His body was laid to rest at the Memorial Park Cemetery in Bromley at 4pm yesterday. His family members, including his father Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, 42 — who was one of the wounded in the senseless terrorist attack — were present at the burial ceremony. Muhammad Haziq’s body was identified via a DNA test.

Muhammad Haziq was reportedly missing following the attack. He was with his father when a lone gunman, Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, stormed into two mosques and showered the congregation with bullets.

Tarrant, described as a right-wing extremist, has been charged with the murder of 50 people in the massacre.

Malaysians turned to social media platforms to express their grief over Muhammad Haziq’s death. The outpouring show of grief reflects the sadness and shock felt by many Malaysians since the white supremacist gunman slain 50 people at the two mosques.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs conveys its heartfelt condolences to the family of the late Muhammad Haziq on behalf of the government.

“The High Commission of Malaysia will render its assistance to the family in the burial process. Minister at the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Mujahid Yusof Rawa will also be flying to Christchurch to represent the government in giving support to Malaysians affected by this incident,” it said in a statement yesterday.

Mujahid said his visit is to assist Muhammad Haziq’s family and to sort things that may involve the government.

“I also intend to meet the New Zealand’s government, to extend our condolences over the tragedy and to record our thanks and gratitude towards the actions taken by them in dealing with victims involved,” he said at a media briefing yesterday.

“We will also be visiting the mosque where the attack occurred and meet other victims’ families,” he said.

Two other Malaysians injured in the incidents were Muhammad Nazril Hisham Omar and Rahimi Ahmad.

PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said he prays that the late Muhammad Haziq will be placed among the faithful and his family will be strong during this difficult period.

“Once again, I would like to emphasise that Malaysia condemns the (shooting) act that is uncivilised and contrary to the value of humanity. I hope the perpetrators of this incident will be punished accordingly,” he said on his Facebook page.

Minister of Economic Affairs Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali also expressed his sadness over the death of Muhammad Haziq.

“All Malaysians were very sad over the confirmation that Muhammad Haziq had been killed in the Christchurch tragedy a few days ago.

“I pray that the late (Muhammad) Haziq will receive husnul khatimah and be rewarded with martyrdom by Allah (the Almighty). May the family be strong and patient during this difficulty,” he said from his Twitter account @AzminAli.

Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng also expressed his condolences to the boy’s family, while Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad tweeted a part of a verse from the Quran which translates to “we belong to Allah and to Allah we shall return”.

Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia secretary-general Datuk Hj Marzuki Yahya said: “Let us all pray for Allahyarham’s (the late Muhammad Haziq) soul so that he is placed among the faithful, blessed and rewarded with martyrdom,” he said in a statement.

He also urged the country to remain calm in the face of the test and to trust in New Zealand government’s wisdom in resolving the nation’s issues.

Minister of Education Dr Maszlee Malik said Muhammad Haziq’s departure is a bitter history of humanity.

“But you are innocent, and God has invited you with love. Condolences for his family members, and condolences to all of us,” he tweeted.

The Dewan Rakyat also observed a moment of silence yesterday to mourn the death of Muhammad Haziq.

It was reported that Burnside High School principal Phil Holstein said Muhammad Haziq was a great young man who respected his mates and teachers.

Meanwhile, AFP reported that the New Zealand police said all 50 victims of last week’s terror attack had now been identified, allowing burials to take place.