MoT to introduce My50 travel pass in Penang

By LYDIA NATHAN / Pic By TMR

The My50 Unlimited Travel Pass programme, an initiative by the Ministry of Transport (MoT) to encourage the use of public transport, will be extended to RapidPenang bus users in the second quarter of this year.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the programme will soon reach the state, following its successful debut in the Klang Valley, after a study is conducted and a proposal is submitted to the government.

“We hope it can be introduced in the quarter or by the second half of this year. I have asked Prasarana (Malaysia Bhd) to study (this matter) immediately and work on a proposal,” he told a press conference in Kuala Lumpur (KL) yesterday.

The My50 travel pass, which was introduced along with My100 on Dec 1 last year, enables subscribers to use all Prasarana services including the mass rapid transit (MRT), light rail transit, KL Monorail, bus rapid transit SunwayLine, RapidKL buses and MRT feeder buses every month at only RM50 and RM100 with unlimited rides.

The passes, which are strictly issued for Malaysians, can be purchased using the MyKad, MyKid and MyTentera documents.

Loke said the initiative has received a positive feedback from the commuters as it has reduced their monthly expenses on transportation significantly.

“As at Jan 7 (Monday), there were 65,125 and 1,577 subscribers for the My100 and My50 passes respectively.

“We have recorded 34,472 subscribers for the whole month of December (last year), but noted a surge of 30,635 subscribers for the first week of January 2019,” he explained.

Loke added that the lower number of subscribers for the My50 pass has allowed the government to utilise the allocation from Budget 2019 to extend the initiative to Penang, and subsequently to other states.

“Our target is to have 200,000 subscribers purchasing the pass every month. If we hit the target, the government’s subsidies will be reduced,” he said.

Loke also said the programme might be expanded to rapid ferry service in Penang.

According to the minister, the government had allocated RM240 million for the programme in Budget 2019, and forked out RM6.5 million so far.

He said the only negative feedback he had received was that some people did not like using their MyKad to pay for fear of losing it.

“We aim to allow people to use whatever card they have to pay either credit, debit or Touch ‘N Go cards. We are also looking into integrating cards for foreign tourists who use our public transportation system when they travel,” he added.