Muhammad Adib likely succumbed to lung injury

Police reclassifies Muhammad Adib’s case to murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code


Firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim, who passed away on Monday evening, had likely succumbed to lung failure, said Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye.

Based on the information provided to him, Lee said Muhammad Adib was not able to breathe as his lungs gave way due to “the massive injury to the lungs”.

“Earlier on, he was put on a special machine to assist the lungs to provide oxygen for circulation. He was doing well, but unfortunately deteriorated again,” Lee told reporters at the launch of the World Bank’s Malaysia Economic Monitor December 2018 Report in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Lee said when he visited Muhammad Adib last week, the latter’s health seemed to improve, where he could respond, move all his limbs and breathe on his own.

“I also met the National Heart Institute (IJN) doctors and I’m confident that they have done whatever they can to the best of their capabilities.He was given the best treatment possible.

“I was told his oxygen and blood pressure were very low when he was initially brought to the hospital. Without the initial support, he would not have made it under normal circumstances. It’s unfortunate that he succumbed,” Lee said.

Lee also conveyed his condolences to Muhammad Adib’s family for their loss, adding that investigations into the events that led to his death should be left to the police.

The 24-year-old fireman suffered multiple injuries including fractured ribs and internal injuries during the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple riot on Nov 27, where he was allegedly attacked by a mob while on duty with his team.

IJN said on Sunday that Muhammad Adib was in critical condition after suffering progressive deterioration of his lung and kidney functions over the past 24 hours.

On Monday, Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin confirmed that MuhammadAdib had passed away at 9.41pm at IJN, three weeks after being injured.

The riots at the temple in USJ 25 were said to be caused by a dispute between parties for and against its proposed relocation as per a consent judgement.

Selangor deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Ab Rashid Ab Wahab said the police had reclassified Muhammad Adib’s case from attempted murder to murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code.