This indicates that they might not be politicians, but professionals
Prime Minister (PM) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said yesterday three more ministers would be appointed to bring the number of Cabinet ministers to 29.
The three ministers could only be appointed after the individuals had been sworn in as senators, he said, indicating that they might not be politicians, but professionals.
“We will have (a total of) 29 ministers. We have 26 now, there are three more to go,” he told reporters after the swearing-in of 13 more ministers and 23 deputy ministers at Istana Negara.
Thirteen ministers, led by Deputy PM and Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail had been sworn in last month.
“So long as they are not sworn in as senators, they cannot be appointed as ministers,” said Dr Mahathir.
The first meeting of the first session of the 14th Parliament is scheduled to convene from July 16 to Aug 16.
Dr Mahathir said he would have a meeting with the ministers and deputy ministers who were sworn in yesterday to explain to them their roles and responsibilities.
For deputy ministers, the list is as follows:
1. Deputy Minister of Finance: Datuk Amiruddin Hamzah
2. Deputy Minister of Home Affairs: Datuk Mohd Azis Jamman
3. Deputy Minister of Women, Family and Community Development: Hannah Yeoh Tseow Suan
4. Deputy Minister of Education: Teo Nie Ching
5. Deputy Minister of Rural Development: R Sivarasa
6. Deputy Minister of Transport: Datuk Kamarudin Jaffar
7. Deputy Minister of Communications and Multimedia: Eddin Syazlee Shith
8. Deputy Minister of Human Resources: Datuk Mahfuz Omar
9. Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry: Sim Tze Tzin
10. Deputy Minister of Health: Dr Lee Boon Chye
11. Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports: Steven Sim Chee Keong
12. Deputy Minister of Entrepreneur Development Dr Mohd Hatta Md Ramli
13. Deputy Minister of Water, Land and Natural Resources: Tengku Zulpuri Shah Raja Puji
14. Deputy Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs: Chong Chieng Jen
15. Deputy Minister of Works: Mohd Anuar Mohd Tahir
16. Deputy Minister of Primary Industries: Shamsul Iskandar Md Akin
17. Deputy Minister of Energy, Technology, Science, Climate Change and Environment: Isnaraissah Munirah Majilis @ Fakharudy
18. Deputy Minister of Federal Territories: Datuk Dr Shahruddin Md Salleh
19. Deputy Minister of International Trade and Industry: Dr Ong Kian Ming
20. Deputy Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture: Muhammad Bakhtiar Wan Chik
21. Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religion): Fuziah Salleh
22. Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law): Mohamed Hanipa Maidin
23. Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (National Unity and Social Wellbeing): Dr Md Farid Md Rafik