Affordable housing deal in Penang halted

The developer of an affordable housing project at Lengkok Permai in Tanjung Bungah, Georgetown will not be allowed to continue its work on the project until the Penang State Commission of Inquiry completes its investigation and findings in the landslide tragedy there.

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the establishment of the commission into the tragic incident will be worked out and approved at the state executive council meeting this week.

“The commission will conduct a full independent investigation to determine the cause of this work site accident and take action against those responsible.

“I will also be recommending that the commission shall be empowered to investigate all ancillary matters related to the project,” he told reporters when met at the scene of the landslide in Georgetown yesterday.

The landslide occurred at about 8.50am on Saturday. Eleven people were trapped in the rubble and so far seven bodies have been retrieved, while the other four victims have yet to be found.

One of them, a site supervisor, was a Malaysian, while the others were Bangladesh, Indonesian and Myanmar nationals.

Lim said the building contractor undertaking the construction works will also be blacklisted by the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) together with any consultants directly involved pending the outcome of the investigation.

He said MBPP had also been instructed to conduct immediate checks and take action on construction sites, especially slope-related, to ensure that guidelines were complied with to ensure not only building safety, but also structural stability. — Bernama